Monday, March 25, 2013

Language Evaluation- Part 2

Collin has finished his language evaluation and does qualify for a language delay. He will be receiving services through the school soon. They now are writing up an Education Plan with some goals and will be coming to the home to work with him. We had a meeting yesterday with a couple of his teachers that will be working with him.

It was also recommended that Collin have a hearing exam from an audiologist to make sure he was hearing everything correctly. This is my kid who has NEVER had a ear infection or any concern with his hearing. I was so not concerned with his hearing but when I heard he has a mild to moderate hearing loss (not permanent) I was shocked. It may be due to fluid in the inner ear. So, we brought him in to his pediatrician to have it checked. She wasn't overly concerned. She said it may be due to his cold. So we are waiting a couple weeks and then retesting.

This could be everything when dealing with his speech. If he isn't hearing correctly (imagine a muffled hearing as if you are under water), that is what he is hearing. So we are going to stay on top of this and make sure those ears are cleared up so we can start making some progress with this speech thing.

The good news is that they tested all areas of his development to make sure nothing was missed. He scored age level or above age level in all other areas. He is a smart kid but is having trouble getting the words out. I'll keep you all informed with his progress as we start his therapy.


Spring Break week starts today! Pray for me...busy house of kids coming up.

I am sick of this winter and wishing now we would have planned a vacation. Already have 2 planned for next year. Not doing that again. I've realized how important those little breaks are to me. They are a must. 

No comments:

Post a Comment